Tuesday 15 April 2014

Medical chest

It's been a week since I needed to call the Flying Doctor about my bee sting - and ask Fred to dispense medicine from the Yowah medical chest. 

I've still got a pink patch on my tummy but it's much paler and no longer itchy or painful. 

Had there not been an improvement, I would have needed to attend a doctor in-person at the weekly clinic - which would have interfered with our Innamincka camping trip, so I'm pleased the drugs worked (even though taking them was on a par with swallowing malaria tablets)!

Recovery aside, I thought I'd explain further about the Royal Flying Doctor Medical Chest held at Yowah's clinic.  There are three key-holders as well as an additional three contact people.  The names and numbers are listed on the public noticeboard - and are possibly listed elsewhere also.  As Nick chats daily with Fred next door, we walked over to talk to him about accessing the prescribed medication.  He drove up to the clinic and we met him there.

When I was a child living at Yowah the clinic was held in the smaller white building at the front of the hall.  My mother would volunteer to man the radio telegraph regularly and I would play outside while she did so.  My run-in with the itchy grubs occurred during one of those times, as the grubs were living in the tree beside the building.

Fred had parked outside the former clinic building and it took me a little while to realise it was no longer in use.  We went inside the hall building and some of the craft ladies directed us to the clinic-room, where all medications are held within several drawers of a locked chest.  Each package is numbered and the correct number is dispensed.  Fred records the patients details and medication in a register - and presumably notes elsewhere which medications require replacement.

Individuals hold responsibility for their usual medications.  Erin and Nick purchased additional medication from Cunnamulla a couple of weeks ago.  That chemist will also dispense medication via the mail-truck, if necessary.  While we were waiting for our scripts to be filled, the driver for the Hungerford mail-truck came in to ask if there were any deliveries for that run.  (Alternatively, if someone is heading into town, it is common for them to be asked to do various missions on behalf of other residents).

We are heading up to Charleville tomorrow.  Nick and Erin will take their scripts with them to ensure they have enough supplies to last for our remaining time at Yowah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment