Currawinya National Park was gazetted in 1991. It covers an area of 151,300 hectares, based on two of the oldest pastoral properties on the Paroo River - Currawinya and Caiwarro. Both leases were taken up in the early 1860s.
The Caiwarro homestead was built in 1891, to replace an earlier building on the banks of the Paroo River.
"In 1906 at Caiwarro alone, 60,000 sheep were shorn by 20 shearers and at shearing time there were over 100 men on the place. They produced a record 101 bales on a single bullock wagon. There were three cricket teams, which played matches on Sunday."
The Caiwarro homestead remained in use until 1971, after which both properties were managed from Currawinya.
"When Caiwarro homestead was closed it had a fine garden of tall palm trees, shrubs, rose bushes and lawns and an orchard. Caiwarro was also able to maintain its own farm, flood irrigated by a steam pump from the river and a homestead vegetable garden."
You can read more about the history of Currawinya National Park here and here. It's interesting reading and gives far more information than the park's website.