Sunday 8 July 2012

Corned Beef (Thermal Cooked)

Corned beef sandwiches are on the menu plan!
We are planning a few days away (staying in a budget cabin) and I am busy preparing various items to take with us. 

As a child, my favourite cold meat was corned beef - thinly sliced from a shop!  I wasn't a big fan of the home-cooked variety, though over the years my taste has changed.

I always made corned beef in my slow cooker - until I bought a thermal cooker.  The preparation is similar but I much prefer the end result.  Even when left overnight in the thermal cooker, the meat is perfectly cooked but still intact the next morning (as opposed to disintegrating when done in the slow cooker). 

Roothy demonstrates the thermal cooking method in this YouTube clip.  My additions are similar to his - about 12 peppercorns and 8 whole cloves but I included powdered ginger (a generous heaped teaspoon), 2 bay leaves and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.  For the first time ever, I also used a small amount (a scant half teaspoon) of allspice.  Hopefully it will be a good thing!

Although I meant to chop an onion, I was side-tracked by other missions so threw about a teaspoon of dried onion in at the last minute.  (I have tried garlic a few times but wasn't all that keen).

No comments:

Post a Comment