I've mentioned my large fabric stash at different times. It came in handy this weekend when I decided to make a strap-on pocket for my camping chair.
When I googled for inspiration, I found this tutorial. I didn't follow the method but I was interested to see how to attach the bag to the chair.
The stash yielded some op-shopped denim, a piece of wildflower print gifted by Erin, another sample of my Mum's machine embroidery as well as ANZAC ribbon and buttons.
I started putting the bag together last night and finished it off this evening - after several interruptions (and some thinking time). As you can see, it's a simple tote bag. I didn't bother making a lining. The front wildflower print was doubled and joined into the bag at the seams. I divided it to form two smaller outside pockets.
It was a source of considerable amusement that I needed to make buttonholes. The only time I can remember making them previously was for a sample when doing a sewing course at TAFE, while pregnant with Erin! Some effort was expended in finding my buttonhole foot and then the sewing machine manual (for instructions on how to make buttonholes). The actual buttonhole making didn't take long after my few "revision" attempts!
I'm hoping the buttons prove strong enough to hold the bag and contents. The rest of the bag is quite sturdy. All seams are double-stitched and over-locked.