Sunday 16 February 2014

Geo-bored?!

Vaughan and I made something this afternoon.  It was a spur-of-the-moment decision. 

During our Sydney Distance Education Primary School stint, we had access to a commercially-made geo-board.  I don't remember using it for maths but it was something that provided a lot of amusement - and it was a great travel activity.  All the DIY versions I've seen rely on someone who can wield a hammer.  Properly! I am definitely not that person.  I struggle to hammer a nail straight and the thought of having to line up so many nails rendered the project far too hard! 

I had a random thought earlier today as I glanced at some push-pins.  We had plenty of cardboard boxes on hand and so our geo-cardboard was started.  There are five layers of cardboard, sandwiched together with craft glue.  Although I initially marked 1cm intervals onto the top of the cardboard stack, a 2cm grid seemed a better distance for the pins.  Vaughan assisted to put them in place and then did some preliminary testing.

We have hundreds of elastic bands and the plastic case was once used to hold Vaughan's kindergarten reading books.  The board is a smidge too high for the case but the lid still shuts with gentle assistance.  Not bad for items that were otherwise unused, eh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment