Monday 5 July 2010

Yowah!

Artesian Waters Caravan Park
We arrived at Yowah in the late afternoon.  Vaughan collected an arm-load of rocks within minutes of exiting the car - and brought them with him to our campsite, even though there were thousands of others already there.  For a boy who loves rocks, dirt, lizards and wildlife - Yowah is pretty much a perfect place. 

I had spent various periods of my childhood at Yowah, including a longer year-long stint when I was about 8 or 9.  The township was a lot more basic in those days and I distinctly remember riding my bike down the main dirt road, surrounded by a group of emu running along with me!

It had been ten years since my last visit and as expected, there had been more changes in that time.  We started exploring the next morning after breakfast, initially following a "walkway" beside the bore drain.  I wanted to find my old house but I didn't recognise much at all, though many other buildings and landmarks were familiar.

I was sad to see Peter's house so deteriorated
As kids my brother and I would often visit Peter, an enthusiastic amateur potter.  We enjoyed spending time with an adult our size and he enjoyed teaching us simple pottery techniques.  The exterior of his house features walls of opal and failed pottery pieces (not ours!), though much of the concrete is weathered and only a few plates remain intact.


Front view of Peter's house

No comments:

Post a Comment