Saturday 1 November 2014

Key security points!

I did something stupid on Saturday evening. I blame the lurgi. I really wasn't feeling 100% and had been hanging out for an afternoon nap since lunchtime.

When we headed back to the camping ground after our windmill wandering, I was still hopeful of a quick sleep. Nup. Didn't happen!

Vaughan spotted a tortoise on the road as we rolled into the reserve.  He/she was picked up, examined and later released into a wet part of the lake.

Although I unlocked the van, put the keys down and almost got to my bed - I was interrupted by calls that the ranger had arrived.  Being keen to do the right thing and pay our two nights' accommodation, I dashed out with wallet in hand.  We chatted about local attractions and he confirmed that although the shower stalls only had one tap, there was in fact hot water - hooray!

After the ranger left, I walked back to the van - and found it locked.  I knew exactly where the keys were.  They were on top of a suitcase, at the end of  my bed.  Inside the locked van.  Great.

We hold premium roadside assistance for Elmer.  If he breaks down, anything being towed is covered for towing also.  I quickly conferred with Nick and rang the assistance line.  A very helpful lady advised that they couldn't retrieve keys from the caravan but she offered to give me the local locksmith's phone number.  In actual fact she transferred me through to him.  He was happy to come out - for $186.00 before 6:00pm and a much higher fee afterwards.  At that stage I didn't realise the time was so close to 6:00pm.

Nick thought the $186.00 could be better used, so started trying to get in.  You remember our beautiful bargain door and the new locking handle?  Nick was quite stressed at the thought of having to wreck either of them. 

Our neighbour, Rick, came over to offer assistance.  He gently confirmed that 6:00pm was fast approaching and agreed with us that saving the call-out fee was the best option.  Rick knew the story of the bargain door and suggested the side window as a better option.  He brought over tools and worked with Nick to remove the window - which was a more straight-forward exercise than Nick and I anticipated.  I would have taken better photos but my camera was locked in the van, next to the keys!

Once the window was out, it took two seconds to pluck the keys from the suitcase just under the hole - and then Nick worked to put the window straight back into the van.  We thanked Rick for his assistance and warned him that he'd gain some internet stardom after being featured in this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment