Thursday 12 April 2012

Hotties!

Quite a few years ago, when visiting very good NZ friends, I was offered a hottie at bedtime.  Seemingly my eyes lit up and I answered very hurriedly in the affirmative! 

I'm not sure what I thought I was going to get but it definitely sounded good!  It was good of course - as good as a hot water bottle gets on a cold night. 

Based on my mini rice bag/hand-warmer success earlier this week, I decided to make larger, bed-warmer rice bags.  They do get quite hot, so for protection (and aesthetic appeal) I adapted some soft toys from around the house - a bright idea from another NZ friend.  The teddy in the pic was purchased for 50c from an op-shop.  He is styled to lay upon his tummy, so I gently operated on him to create an opening underneath and space for re-stuffing with a rice bag.

Vaughan's crocodile puppet has a long, lined pocket running along his underside.  I made a longer rice bag to fit - so the croc can do double-duty as a bed warmer.  Vaughan is not keen on the smell of the hot rice, so I have put a few drops of essential lavender oil on the bag in the hope that it will overcome the rice smell (and our boy's wakefulness)!

My preparations this week are very much made with Lithgow's cold temperatures (and our cabin accommodation convenience) in mind.  Generally we camp in non-powered areas, so wouldn't be able to zap rice bags in the microwave. 

2 comments: