Saturday 14 April 2012

Ant-ics!

We reached Wondabyne station at around 4:30pm, so would have been able to catch a train 20 minutes later had we not been lured by the temptation of another cache.

The GPS indicated the geocache was a mere 75 metres from where we were, so we headed into the thick lantana scrub. No go.

We tried again in another spot.

Vaughan, wise beyond his 7 years, stood in the cleared section and declared us crazy! 


Undeterred by Vaughan's commentary, we battled in for a bit then decided against going further. I turned about, stopped - and investigated an acute burning/biting sensation on my inner thigh.

There was a huge ant gnawing through my jeans! Nick spied many more so we bolted, as much as we could, from the lantana jungle - tripping over the vines ensnaring our feet and undaunted by the face/neck whips of other taller vines.  Back in the cleared area, I flicked off various other ant assailants - and dropped my jeans to dissuade a couple that had made their way under. Oh, the burning of the bites I sustained!

I walked briskly to the station, deposited both backpacks on the seat and hunted for the sting relief. Mindful of the house near the platform, I positioned myself with a half-wall between me and it, then dropped my daks again to apply the spray. Ah, relief!

I wriggled myself back into my jeans, zipped up the fly - and looked up to register the 24-hour security camera warning notice with one camera aimed very squarely in my direction!! I am sure the rail security team would have had a great giggle at my ant-ics!

No comments:

Post a Comment