Saturday 20 January 2024

Picnic case update ...

Given I posted of the updated beverage case, it seemed fair to include a picnic case update.  

We've used various baskets/cases (hah - basket cases!) over the years.  In earlier times we picnicked as a family and needed more plates, cups, cutlery etc, so had a larger format.  

I still have that green bag to use, when there are more of us out together.

These days it's just Nick and I most of the time.  A picnic-for-two set-up seemed more apt.  

I succumbed to Covid early last year and when I tired of watching YouTube, I upcycled a small lawn bowls case to picnic case (in between naps).  It wasn't until mid February that it had it's first outing, but I've enjoyed using it since. I like picnics!

The little red case holds some cutlery, two larger plates, a small serving tray and a cutting board, while the beverage case has other cutlery, two sets of smaller plates, two saucers and a baby cutting board.  They work well together on occasions when we have an extra person - or want to use more plates!

The beverage case has a stash of tea-bags and some coffee bags.  It's recent overhaul means there's now ground coffee for Nick's travel press, the press and my small teapot. You can see better pics of its contents, here.

Both cases have tablecloths, cos not all picnic tables are suitable to use as they are. The red case has a re-usable rubbish bag and a roll-top wet bag for washing up.  The beverage case used to have a plastic bag for washing up but we don't have many and I'm thinking of making a wet bag for it, also.  (Usually there is a mini tea-towel cos we rinse cups and dry them for re-use during the day).

Not long after converting the red bowl case, I found another red bowls bag made by the same company.  While still vintage, I think it might be a little "newer" based on the logo.  They look good together, though I'm yet to decide on a purpose for it!  It might work to carry a few non-esky items but would require some small tweaks to the interior and I'm not ready to commit to those, just yet.

We updated our stove last year.  As much as we like using the small dual fuel stoves, we've had several and they don't last as long as we might like for the price tag.  The butane one was bought on special for $30.00 and has been working well, so far.  It often stays packed in the car along the with the two cases, the kettle bag (with kettle!) and a 5-litre container of water.  

We take an esky for the food and lately I've been using an insulated drink bottle to hold milk, for extra chilling during the day.  If I'm feeling very flash, I'll pack ice cubes in one of our wide-mouthed thermoses for drink bottle top-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment