Monday 27 September 2021

Long reach from Julia Creek

We were up early again, so worked steadily in the cool - and checked out a little after 9:30am.  There were quick farewells with Di before we were back on the road.

Last year, during our Wing-it Wanderings trip, I was very excited to find half a Road Train sign. I've been looking for the other half since then and felt I might have better, albeit still slim, chances of finding one this trip.

Much excitement between Julia Creek and Kynuna when I spotted some yellow! Alas, on checking the archives my find was as Vaughan said - "the wrong half". Not to worry, I'll keep searching, though I may now require two "Roads"?!

My new sign is far more battered than the first one but still made it all the way home with us!

There was discussion while driving about the landscape and behaviour of willy-willies - as well as tumbleweed appreciation and some sing-alongs to Vaughan's playlist.  

We detoured again into Kynuna for a quick break and then drove to Winton.  

Nick and I bought takeaway from one of the pubs and we all sat on the footpath in the shade of a building (beside the car) to have lunch.  Nick and I had fold-up stools for increased comfort but we even so, it was still very hot and we were all pleased to get back in the car out of the heat.

Longreach was our overnight stop, as planned.  We arrived around 4:00pm, set up, chatted to a neighbour and then kicked back listening to a different neighbour's TV, so it seemed like we were "watching" NCIS together!  TV aside, it was very pleasant sitting outside, with stars emerging between the clouds.

Vaughan found several broad-banded sandswimmers beside the amenities block, so they were admired and photographed.  A definite highlight of the evening!

Day 8, Julia Creek to Longreach - 466km

No comments:

Post a Comment