Wednesday 28 April 2010

Thermal Cooking


I was very impressed when Aldi had a camping sale last year, which included camping saucepans and a thermal cooker.  I had read a lot about thermal cookers but the Dreampot was several hundred dollars - definitely outside our budget, particularly given I wasn't sure how useful an item it would be.  Aldi's price was a lot more budget-friendly, around a third the cost of a Dreampot but virtually the same from my research.  (Aldi have just run the special again this year for $20 less, though I couldn't convince Nick we needed two)!

What's a thermal cooker?!  It is like a huge thermos, you cook something in the inner pot for 15-20 mins then put inside the thermal "cooker" to finish off.  Hours later it is still hot and similar to a crockpot dinner.

I had tried it a few times at home but was still a bit daunted by the concept, so it wasn't until April 2010 that I really started to experiment - with rather satisfying results!

The link is for a short video, showing how a very simple chilli con carne is cheffed in the Shuttle Chef (another brand of thermal cooker).  The principle is the same regardless of the brand and there is a wealth of information available on the internet, once you start Googling!

No comments:

Post a Comment